The specialisation in Early Childhood prepares you to become an early childhood educator in childcare, kindergarten and preschool settings. This option is specifically designed for people who hold a Diploma of Children's Services/Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education or equivalent. You will learn how to help children develop their creative, physical, personal, intellectual and social capabilities. You will develop your understanding on literacy, play based learning, numeracy, health, science, the arts, technology and environment and sustainability. You will develop your professional capacity through practical teaching experience and research studies. This experience increases your understanding of the complex field of education, and may provide a pathway for research and further learning.
Click for reasons to choose Monash University
Our graduates become leaders in teaching practice, public debate, policy development and community action across the world.
Monash University helps students connect with employers, find jobs and explore career options.
This degree programme consists 16 units and 4 practicum fieldworks, student may complete the program in approximately 2 academic years:
Year 2 Units
- Contemporary Child Development Theories and Practices
- Learning Through Play Pedagogies
- Curriculum Assessment and Documentation in Education
- Learning with Children, Their Families and Communities
- Learning about Patterns, Shapes and Numbers Through Play
- Health and Physical Wellbeing in The Young Child
- Children and Childhood Across Time: Policies and Practices
- Local and Global Perspectives in Education Policy
- Early years Professional Experience 2A
- Early years Professional Experience 2B
Year 3 Units
- Diversity in Child Development
- Children’s Literature, Storytelling and The Arts
- Professionalism, Ethics and Interdisciplinary Work in Education
- Art, Environment and Community
- Change and Transition in Children’s Education
- Children’s Literacy Development
- Investigating Our World: Science, Technology and the Environment
- Leadership and Management in Education Contexts
- Early years Professional Experience 3A
- Early years Professional Experience 3B
* Fieldwork placements are required in early childhood settings.
'All students entering the programme will do so with advanced standing.
Year 3 Entry (12 months)
- A Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Leadership/(DECCE-L) or equivalent
Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Other relevant qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
Year 2 Entry (24 months)
- A graded Diploma of Children’s Services (or equivalent) awarded by an Australia registered training organization (i.e. TAFE or private provider).
- A Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Teaching/(DECCE-T) or equivalent - Other relevant qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis English requirements : English requirement :
- Successful completion of an approved Diploma qualification or higher, where the language of instruction was English Applicants are required to meet the University’s English language requirement (https://www.monash.edu/admissions/english-language-requirements)
Students who successfully complete and pass the modules stipulated in the course structure will be awarded the Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood
The degree awards will be the same as that awarded to the on-campus graduates.
Year 3 Entry
SGD $22,211.06 payable in 4 installments for a period of 12 months
Year 2 Entry
SGD $44,422.12 payable in 8 installments for a period of 24 months
Receive $400 referral bursary when you recommend your friend to join our degree course. T&Cs apply.
Education loans are available, subject to meeting the bank's loan requirements. Please click here for more information.
Amex 0% interest on instalment payment effective 1st June 2017 (for instalments ranging 6 - 24 months)
Non-refundable application fees are as follows:
- Application fee: SGD 181.90
All prices are inclusive of 7% Goods & Services Tax (GST). Please refer to the official price list for a detailed breakdown.
*Note: All fees are subjected to change annually. The fees above have been updated and are accurate as of 18 Jan 2016. For more information about the programme, please contact our course consultant.
Click here for Terms and Conditions for Rebates and Offers
There are 2 intakes per year. Please contact our consultants to obtain a copy of the class schedules