The specialisation in Early Years Education prepares you to become an early childhood educator in childcare, kindergarten and preschool settings. This option is specifically designed for people who hold a Diploma of Children's Services or equivalent. You will learn how to help children develop their creative, physical, personal, intellectual and social capabilities. You will develop your understanding on literacy, play based learning, numeracy, health, science, the arts, technology and environment and sustainability. You will develop your professional capacity through practical teaching experience and research studies. This experience increases your understanding of the complex field of education, and may provide a pathway for research and further learning.
Our graduates become leaders in teaching practice, public debate, policy development and community action across the world.
Monash University helps students connect with employers, find jobs and explore career options.
This advanced level degree programme consists 26 units and 4 practicum fieldworks, student may complete the program in approximately 3 academic years:
- Contemporary Child Development Theories and Practices
- Indigenous Perspectives on Teaching and Learning
- Learning Through Play Pedagogies
- Curriculum Assessment and Documentation in Education
- Learning with Children, Their Families and Communities
- Learning about Patterns, Shapes and Numbers Through Play
- Health and Physical Wellbeing in The Young Child
- Children and Childhood Across Time: Policies and Practices
- Diversity in Child Development
- Local and Global Perspectives in Education Policy
- Children’s Literature, Storytelling and The Arts
- Professionalism, Ethics and Interdisciplinary Work in Education
- Art, Environment and Community
- Change and Transition in Children’s Education
- Children’s Literacy Development
- Investigating Our World: Science, Technology and the Environment
- Leadership and Management in Education Contexts
- Professional studies
- Sociology of Early Childhood
- Educating the Young Mathematician
- Understanding Place, Space and Education
- Researching Teaching and Learning
- Innovation in Curriculum and Pedagogy in Schools
- Early Childhood Learning Through New Media and Technologies
- Play in Lifelong Learning
- Research Project in Education
- Early years Professional Experience 2A
- Early years Professional Experience 3A
- Early years Professional Experience 4A
- Early years Professional Experience 2B
- Early years Professional Experience 3B
- Early years Professional Experience 4B
* Fieldwork placements are required in early childhood settings.
Click for reasons to choose Monash University
All students entering the course will do so with advanced standing. To be eligible for admission students must hold a graded Diploma of Children’s Services (or equivalent) awarded by an Australia registered training organization (i.e. TAFE or private provider) or other qualifications and experience deemed by the faculty to be equivalent to or a satisfactory substitute for the above.
Applicants who have successfully completed one of the following can gain further unit exemption:
- Polytechnic diploma in early childhood education or equivalent
- Diploma in early childcare education - leadership or equivalent
Up to 8 units exemption is available.
Click to view English language requirements.
Each term is a 3-month period covering 2 courses of study. Each course is provided with 20 hours of academic seminars/workshop sessions (4 consecutive sessions of 4 or 6 hours each) after office hours in the evening and/or over weekends/public holidays.
100% course work
Students who successfully complete and pass the modules stipulated in the course structure will be awarded the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Years Education from Monash University.
The degree awards will be the same as that awarded to the on-campus graduates.
- $23,231.70 per academic year (per academic year refer to 12 months)
- The program can be completed in approximately 2 - 3 academic years.
- Receive $300 referral bursary when you recommend your friend to join our degree course. T&Cs apply.
Education loans are available, subject to meeting the bank's loan requirements. Please click here for more information.
Amex 0% interest on instalment payment effective 1st June 2017 (for instalments ranging 6 - 24 months)
Non-refundable application fees are as follows:
- Application fee: SGD 181.90
All prices are inclusive of 7% Goods & Services Tax (GST). Please refer to the official price list for a detailed breakdown.
*Note: All fees are subjected to change annually. The fees above have been updated and are accurate as of 18 Jan 2016. For more information about the programme, please contact our course consultant.
Click here for Terms and Conditions for Rebates and Offers
There are 2 intakes per year. Please contact our consultants to obtain a copy of the class schedules