- Topic: Achieve 100% assignment based Master of Counseling accredited by SAC with Monash University
- Date: 13 December 2017, Wednesday, 07:00 PM
- Venue: 8 Wilkie Road #02-01 Kaplan City Campus @ Wilkie Edge (Beside Peace Centre, nearest MRT: Dhoby Ghaut)
The Master of Counselling in the Faculty of Education is a skill-based course suited to those with an interest in counselling. It is taught by academics with extensive experience working as professional counsellors/psychologists. It can be completed in 12 months, 18 months or 24 months as part time study depending on the level of entry.
The Master of Counselling provides a professional qualification and offers authentic counselling experience. It is suitable for people from a variety of professions such as human resources, health, social welfare and education.
An integral component of the course is 300 hours of professional placement, which includes contact and non-contact hours. Non-contact hours include any counselling-related duties associated with the placement centre that do not involve counselling clients. Examples include: administrative duties, observation of groups or activities, writing case notes, research into a particular case or attending meetings. Contact hours include client counselling or discussions about case managers, teachers, social workers and/or family members.
Graduates work in a variety of fields including careers counselling, education, child and family services, child protection services, child psychology, health policy, counselling, family counselling, health services management, and rehabilitation counselling.
Monash University helps students connect with employers, find jobs and explore career options.
This course consists of eight 12-point coursework units plus one 0-point professional experience unit. Students must complete:
- EDF 4530 - Lifespan Development and Counsellor Identity
- EDF 4531 - Professional Practice in Counselling
- EDF 4532 - Introduction to Mental Health Issues
- EDF 4533 - Counselling Children and Adolescents
- EDF 5530 - Counselling Skills for Individuals, Couples and Groups
- EDF 5531 - Cognitive Behaviour Therapies
- EDF 5532 - Ethics for Counsellors
- EDF 5533 - Advanced Counselling Practice
- EDF 5534 - Supervised Professional Counselling Practice (0 points)
Supervised Professional Counselling Practice is a field placement (practicum) that develops a range of professional skills and acquaints students with issues of professional ethics and practice in counselling. Students are required to complete 300 placement hours in total, of which 100 hours are 'contact' hours (face-to-face counselling) and 200 hours are 'non-contact' (e.g. observation). Students are also required to participate in weekly online discussion groups and postings throughout the duration of the placement.
Click for reasons to choose Monash University
At a minimum, applicants must have successfully completed a recognised bachelor degree or equivalent qualification with a credit average.
Click to view English language requirements.
Applicants who have successfully completed one of the following will be admitted with some credit:
- a recognised cognate bachelor degree or equivalent qualification with a credit average.
- a recognised non-cognate bachelor degree with a credit average together with 2 or more years of full-time relevant informal learning.
- a recognised honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or masters qualification
Advance standing entry is available up to final year Master program.
Each term is a 3-month period covering 1 course of study. Each unit consists of 20 contact hours and will be conducted on week 4 or week 5 of the term, from Thursday till Sunday, after office hours in the evenings and/or over the weekends/public holidays. Professional experience intervention and support policy.
100% course work
Students who successfully complete and pass the modules stipulated in the course structure will be awarded the Master of Counselling from Monash University.
The degree awards will be the same as that awarded to the on-campus graduates.
- $22,684.00 per academic year (Per academic year refers to 12 months, including 4 units)
- The program can be normally completed in a minimum of 1 academic year.
- Receive $400 referral bursary when you recommend your friend to join our master degree course. T&Cs apply.
Education loans are available, subject to meeting the bank's loan requirements. Please click here for more information.
Amex 0% interest on instalment payment effective 1st June 2017 (for instalments ranging 6 - 24 months)
Non-refundable application fees are as follows:
- Application fee: SGD 181.90
All prices are inclusive of 7% Goods & Services Tax (GST). Please refer to the official price list for a detailed breakdown.
*Note: All fees are subjected to change annually. The fees above have been updated and are accurate as of 18 Jan 2016. For more information about the programme, please contact our course consultant.
Click here for Terms and Conditions for Rebates and Offers
There are 2 intakes per year. Please contact our consultants to obtain a copy of the class schedules